Mayor Pro Tem Maryann Edwards
Maryann Edwards, her husband Tom, and 3 children under the age of 4 moved to Temecula from Orange County in 1988.
Maryann has supported Temecula residents through active participation as an elected official, serving on steering committees for city projects, and on dozens of non-profit boards.
Because of Maryann’s volunteer work and participation on volunteer steering committees for all city projects, she was appointed to serve on the City of Temecula’s Public/Traffic Safety Commission in 1998 where she spent three years and served as the Chairman in 2000. The Traffic Commission helped to facilitate the completion of the Pala Bridge, the Overland Bridge, the widening of the Rancho California Road bridge and many other major projects.
In 2001, Maryann was elected to the Temecula Valley Unified School District Governing Board. During her tenure, TVUSD planned and built nine schools including the 96,000SF International Baccalaureate accredited Great Oak High School.
Because of her more than 15 years of outstanding leadership and vision, in 2005, Maryann was appointed by the Temecula City Council to fill the temporary vacancy created when Council Member Jeff Stone was elected to the Riverside County Board of Supervisors. She successfully ran for re-election three times and has served Temecula’s Mayor three times. She is currently running for a fourth term on the Temecula City Council.
Maryann Edwards’ volunteer spirit has been honored by many civic and government organizations:
- Woman of the Year, 75th State Assembly District – 2017
- North County Times Woman of Merit – 2001
- Family First Award, LDS Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – 2009
- California State PTA Outstanding Service Award – 2017
- Citizen of the Year, Temecula/Murrieta Valley Kiwanis – 2008
- Temecula’s Good Neighbor Award – 1997 & 1998
Maryann and “Dr. Tom” will celebrate their 43rd wedding anniversary on this October. Together they survived Tom’s completion of law school at night while working full time during the day, the birth of 3 children within 36 months (Congratulations! It’s twins!), the planning and construction of two historic antebellum homes, the hanging of hundreds of yards of wallpaper, the graduation of all three children and their college years, three government appointments, and 5 local elections resulting in more than 30 years of loving community service by the entire family.
“Working for my fellow Temecula residents in the city I have loved and served for nearly 30 years is a joy and a true labor of love. I am honored to have played a small part in Temecula’s carefully planned growth into the beautiful city we all know and love today. Whether as a public official or grateful volunteer, I will continue to serve our beautiful city and its residents in every way possible for the rest of my life.”
Elected and Appointed Offices
- Mayor, Temecula (2009, 2014, 2017)
- City Council Member, Temecula (2005-present)
- Board Member, Temecula Valley Unified School District (2001-2005)
- Commissioner, Temecula Traffic/Public Safety Commission (1998-2001)
- Director/Exec.Committee, Cal State University San Marcos Foundation Board
- Director, Western Riverside County Association of Governments
- Director/Exec. Committee, League of California Cities Riverside County Division
- Director/Chairman, Southwest Cities Financing Authority - Current
- Director, RTA (Riverside County Transportation Agency)
- Vice Chairman, Riverside County Conservation Authority
- Vice Chairman, Riverside County First 5 Commission, Advisory Board
- VFW Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxilliary - Lifetime Member
- Founding Director, SAFE (Safe Alternatives For Everyone)
- Director, Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- President, Assistance League of Temecula Valley
- President & CEO, Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest County
- Vice President, Murrieta/Temecula Group
- Advisory Board, Rose Again Foundation
- Member, Rotary Club of Temecula Valley
- Chairman, PTA Temecula Valley
Volunteer Steering Committees
- Old Town Renovation Committee
- Ronald H. Roberts Public Library Committee
- Murrieta Creek Restoration and Flood Control Committee
- Yes on C Committee
- Promenade Mall Community Advisory Committee
- Children’s Museum Planning Committee
- Riverside County Integrated Plan