Location & History
Leidschendam-Voorburg is located in the Netherlands, southwest of Amsterdam, close to the Hague. The Romans are believed to have established a civil settlement in the West of the Netherlands, what was to become the origins of Voorburg. The eldest mention of the name of Voorburg is on a list of goods of the diocese of Utrecht between 777 and 866. Voorburg was dependent upon the city of Delft for a long time.
The number of inhabitants was only 1,600 in 1812 and grew slowly to 7,198 in 1920. In the nineties, the population grew to 40,000.
Leidschendam-Voorburg has several beautiful and historical landmarks such as the:
De Oude Kerk (The Old or St. Martin's Church)
Franse Kerk (The French Church)
Gatehouse of Hofwijck (Museum of the family Huygens')
Middenburg (a large country house)
Swaensteijn (The "Swan" House)
Vossenburch (Medieval House)
De Koepel (Greenhouse)
TSCA established our
first Sister City relationship with Leidschendam-Voorburg, located in
The Netherlands in 1993. Since then, we have had number of exchanges
between students and staff of all High Schools in Temecula and Dalton
School in Voorburg, as well as law enforcement personnel between the 2
honor of Temecula's relationship with Voorburg, we have a special place
in Temecula named Voorburg Park. Also, Voorburg created and baptized a
long stemmed yellow tulip named City of Temecula. They grow all over
Voorburg and especially around its city hall.