Business License Instructions
Business License services are available online. If you have questions, feel free to e-mail us at businesslicense@TemeculaCA.gov.
In person services are currently closed (as of July 14, 2020). Customers may utilize our online services (found below).
Once you have read through this entire page, you may submit your business license paperwork online by e-mailing email@example.com. Do not email payment information. We will send you an invoice via email.
Purpose of a Business License
Anyone doing business within the Temecula city limits is required to have a license; see Temecula Municipal Code Section 5.04.030, "Certificate Required."
The purpose of Temecula’s business licensing service is to provide a registry of businesses in the incorporated area. It is also intended to protect the interests of legitimate businesses in the City from unfair competition with businesses operating in violation of federal, state, and local laws. This program is not intended to impose any form of taxation on the business community nor to collect in fees more money than is necessary to recover the administrative costs of processing an application for the issuance or renewal of a business certificate.
License Fee & Renewals
- The annual business license fee is $39 ( which is $35 for registration and $4 for state fee AB1379).
- All Business Licenses expire on January 31, and it is the business owner’s responsibility to renew the license.
- All business license renewals received after January 31 will be assessed a $15 late penalty fee.
- Any business license renewals received after March 1 will be assessed a $35 late penalty fee.
- License fee is non-refundable and not transferable
Steps to Obtaining a Business License
Step 1 - Research
- Read through Resources to Open a Business to determine what type of permits are needed for your business.
- Contact any agencies required for your business before filling out the business license application (i.e., State Board of Equalization for your Sellers Permit, Health Department if handling food, Alcoholic Beverage Control if selling alcohol, etc.).
- Door to Door Solicitors will need to fill out the business license application, and bring this application to the Police Department when they apply for a solicitor’s permit. Police signature approval is required on the business license application form. Contact the Temecula Police Department (Old Town Storefront) at 951-506-5130.
Step 2 - Download the Application
Download the appropriate Business License Application Packet (PDF) located on the right margin. This is a PDF document, so you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to access the Business License application. If it is not already installed on your computer, make sure you download the Reader before you try downloading any PDFs.
Step 3 - Gather and Provide Information
- Fill out the application completely. Missing information will delay the processing and issuance of your license.
- Carefully review and attach all required documents that pertain to your business.
- Make sure all forms are signed.
- Non-profit organizations, please submit your 501c3 or proof of non-profit status, this will exempt you from the $35 registration fee, so you would only pay the $4 state fee AB1379.
- Veterans exemption (from the $35 fee) requires your DD214
- If you are operating a business located inside the city it is recommended that you come to City Hall as your application will have to go through Community Development (Planning, Building and Fire Departments) for approval.
Describe your business operations in detail on the Statement of Operations Form (PDF) and:
- If you are operating a business from a commercial address located in the City of Temecula, a Certificate of Occupancy (PDF) is required if your Business is new, relocating, changing ownership or business name resulting in a change of tenancy and are proposing no tenant improvements. Please see the Certificate of Occupancy page for additional information.
- If doing tenant improvements, demolition, or other construction to the location, please contact the Building and Safety Department for your permit(s).
- If you are opening a business from your Temecula residence, please fill out the Home Occupation Form (PDF) as this registration is required. Please submit the Home Occupation Form with your business license application. There is a one-time $20 fee for this permit.
Step 4 - Submit Online
- Submit your application with the $39 Business License Registration fee (and $20 Home Occupation Permit fee if applicable). This may be done by mail, email, or fax.
- If submitting via mail, email, or fax, please include a copy of the applicant’s US government issued picture identification (ie. CDL, Passport, etc.). For PCI Compliance and the safety of your sensitive information, Please DO NOT EMAIL any credit card information. You will be provided an invoice to pay online at the Citizen Self Service Portal - https://temeculaca.gov/css
- If the applicant is sending an authorized agent to submit their application, please provide them with a notarized letter authorizing them to do so.