Business License Instructions
Purpose of a Business License
License Fee & Renewals
- The annual business license fee is $39 ( which is $35 for registration and $4 for state fee AB1379).
- All Business Licenses expire on January 31, and it is the business owner's responsibility to renew the license.
- All business license renewals received after January 31 will be assessed a $15 late penalty fee.
- Any business license renewals received after March 1 will be assessed a $35 late penalty fee.
- License fee is non-refundable and not transferable
Steps to Obtaining a Business License
Step 1 - RESEARCH
- Read through Resources to Open a Business to determine what type of permits are needed for your business.
- Contact any agencies required for your business before filling out the business license application (i.e., State Board of Equalization for your Sellers Permit, Health Department if handling food, Alcoholic Beverage Control if selling alcohol, etc.).
- Door to Door Solicitors will need to fill out the business license application, and bring this application to the Police Department when they apply for a solicitor's permit. Police signature approval is required on the business license application form. Contact the Temecula Police Department (Old Town Storefront) at 951-506-5130.
Step 2 - GET THE APPLICATION
Step 3 - GATHER AND PROVIDE INFO
- Fill out the application completely. Missing information will delay the processing and issuance of your license.
- Carefully review and attach all required documents that pertain to your business.
- Make sure all forms are signed.
- Non-profit organizations, please submit your 501c3 or proof of non-profit status, this will exempt you from the $35 registration fee, so you would only pay the $4 state fee AB1379.
- Veterans exemption (from the $35 fee) requires your DD214
- If you are operating a business located inside the city it is recommended that you come to City Hall as your application will have to go through Community Development (Planning, Building and Fire Departments) for approval.
Describe your business operations in detail on the Statement of Operations Form (PDF) and:
- If you are operating a business from a commercial address located in the City of Temecula, a Certificate of Occupancy (PDF) is required if your Business is new, relocating, changing ownership or business name resulting in a change of tenancy and are proposing no tenant improvements. Please see the Certificate of Occupancy page for additional information.
- If doing tenant improvements, demolition, or other construction to the location, please contact the Building and Safety Department for your permit(s).
- If you are opening a business from your Temecula residence, please fill out the Home Occupation Form (PDF) as this registration is required. Please submit the Home Occupation Form with your business license application. There is a one-time $20 fee for this permit.
Step 4 - SUBMIT
- Submit your application with the $39 Business License Registration fee (and $20 Home Occupation Permit fee if applicable). This may be done by mail, email, fax, or by coming in person to City Hall.
- If submitting via mail, email, or fax, please include a copy of the applicant's US government issued picture identification (ie. CDL, Passport, etc.). Use the credit card authorization form if you wish to pay using VISA or MasterCard. For PCI Compliance and the safety of your sensitive information, Please FAX the credit card authorization form to (951) 693-3948, DO NOT EMAIL.
- If the applicant is sending an authorized agent to submit their application, please provide them with a notarized letter authorizing them to do so.
State Mandated Disability Access and Education Fund
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies: