Lifeguard Training Courses
Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, participants learn teamwork, rescue skills, surveillance skills, First Aid, CPR/AED and other skills needed to work as a professional lifeguard.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be certified for a lifeguard position in California and will receive American Red Cross certifications in:
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (valid 2 years)
- Administering Emergency Oxygen (valid 2 years)
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training (valid 1 year)
- First Aid for Public Safety Personnel-Title 22 (valid 2 years)*
*Title 22 certification is included in the price of the Lifeguard Class but is a separate class with a separate registration. Please see Lifeguard Training receipt or call the office for details.
Interested in the opportunity to join the City of Temecula Aquatics Team? Click here to add yourself to the Interest List!
In order to participate in the course, each person must:
- Be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course. (Please note: To be hired as a City of Temecula Lifeguard, applicants must be 16 years old by June 30).
- Successfully complete the Pre-Course Skills Test (see below).
Pre-Course Skills TestProspective candidates must pass all pre-course skills test in order to continue in the Lifeguard Training course. The Skills Tests consists of the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event: 20-yard swim using front crawl or breast stroke, surface dive to 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound brick and swim 20 yards back to starting point. Must be completed in 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Class Offerings - Dates and RegistrationBelow are the Lifeguard Course dates. These do not include a Title 22 certification. See separate Title 22 dates below. The Title 22 fee is included in Lifeguard Training registration fee, but you must select your preferred date when registering AND register for the Title 22 class separately (using the promo code).
- Fee: $200
- Location: Community Recreation Center (CRC) - 30875 Rancho Vista Rd.
- Register: Online. Click here for the online catalog (under Aquatics Programs)
- Activity #: 5020.2
Lifeguard Training Classes
|Session||Class Date||Skills Test Date||Location||Fee|
|Sept 2-4||First day of class (Sept 2)||CRC||$150|
|Oct 13-15||First day of class (Oct 13)||CRC||$150|
|Nov 17-19||First day of class (Nov 17)||CRC||$150|
|First day of class (Jan 2)||CRC||$200**|
|Jan 13-15*||First day of class (Jan13)||CRC||$200**|
|Feb 16-19||First day of class (Feb 16)||CRC||$200**|
|Mar 23-25||First day of class (Mar 23)||CRC||$200**|
See online catalog for class times.
*Session 5 is tentative depending on class participation and instructor availability.
**Fee subject to change.
Title 22 Class
|1||Nov 20-21||CRC - Classroom||$100*|
|2||Jan 5-6||CRC - Classroom||$100*|
|3||Mar 30-31||CRC - Classroom||$100*|
*The Title 22 fee is included in Lifeguard Training registration fee, but you must select your preferred date when registering AND register for the Title 22 class separately (using the promo code).
In order to pass the class and receive certifications, participants must:
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Complete all online assignments.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass all final written exams with minimum grades of 80%.
Upon successful completion of the course, certifications will be emailed to the email address provided when you sign-up for the class within 2 weeks.